Ascott House Painting


Ascott House as it appears today, belies its age. Long, low and gabled, it looks like a heavily restored Tudor house. Its core is indeed an old farmhouse, thought to date from 1606. The original farmhouse has undergone many changes. It was first moderately enlarged in 1874 to form ‘Ascott Cottage’ but was almost immediately expanded to make a fully fledged hunting-lodge with extensive stables, kennels and other outbuildings, before being again further enlarged to make a substantial Edwardian country house. In 1937–8, it was extensively remodelled when 37 rooms were removed to create the present appearance of an unassuming, rambling old manor house.