The nucleus of the
remarkable collection of works of art at Ascott, more particularly the
French furniture and most of the pictures, was inherited in the late 19th
century by Leopold de Rothschild from his father, Baron Lionel de
The collection was
further enhanced by Anthony de Rothschild (1887-1961) who added English
furniture, paintings and a remarkable collection of over 400 pieces of
Chinese ceramics. The three colour wares central to the collection make it
amongst the foremost in the world.
From 1941-1947 a group
of Chelsea Pensioners lived at Ascott after the Royal
Hospital, Chelsea was bombed.
In 1949 the Ascott
Collection, together with the House, its grounds of 261 acres and an
endowment were given to the National Trust by Anthony de Rothschild.